Kelley House Museum logo
Kelley House Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Classification Ships
Object ID 2007-25-02
Object Name Print, Photographic
Collection Subject File
Caption Charles Van Damme
Description Christening of the ferryboat, "Charles Van Damme," in Benicia. The Charles Van Damme was a side wheel ferryboat built in Benicia in 1916 by builder James Robertson. It was operated by the Richmond - San Rafael Ferry and the Martinez - Benicia Ferry. It was vacated in 1958 . It then became a floating restaurant, beached north of Sausalito and used as a night club. Sign painter, Joseph Silver Bowen, standing in back right with bowler hat, was the painter for the ferry.
Date 1916-1917
Year Range from 1916
Year Range to 1917
Credit line William Bowen Collection
Subjects Ferries
People Van Damme, Charles F., 1881 - 1934
Related Publications Harlan, George, "San Francisco Bay Ferryboats"