|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Caption||National City Loading Lumber|
The steam schooner National City taking on lumber with a wire chute in Mendocino Bay. A second ship, possibly the Sea Foam, waits on the right.
The National City was a single deck wooden schooner of 310 registered tons and measured 149 ft. in length, 34 breadth and 10 ft. deep.
It was built in 1888 by Hay & Wright in San Francisco and owned by National Steamship Company, a subsidiary of Union Lumber Company. Powered by a 450 horsepower triple expansion engine, it carried 320,000 board feet of lumber.
The National City was sold in 1918 to a company operating in Peru.
|Print size||9.5 cm x 7 cm|
|Credit line||Emery Escola Collection|
NcNairn, Jack and Jerry MacMullen, "Ships of the Redwood Coast."