|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Caption||The Maru on Big River|
The Maru No. 2 on Big River.
The first Maru was built by John Peterson. He named it the "Maru" after seeing the word on Japanese boats thinking it was a pretty name. The Japanese word, maru, meaning "circle", is often attached to Japanese ship names.
The Maru's job was to bring rafts of logs to the mill from the boom. On social occasions in summer, picnickers would ride the Maru up the river, courtesy of the lumber company. Perley Maxwell is the crewman on the left.
|Print size||22 cm x 14 cm|
|Credit line||Alice Earl Wilder Collection|
Peterson, John Frederick, 1846 - 1933
Maxwell, Perley, 1869 - 1931
Mendocino Historical Review Vol. 1, No. 1 Winter 1973 p. 18 - 19
Mendocino Beacon, November 14, 1908
Time - Life, "The Loggers" p.107