|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Caption||Usal Bridge and Hotel|
County Bridge at Usal. The building on the right was originally the store and later became the hotel.
The Usal Lumber Company was formed in 1888 by the T. Merrills, a father and son lumber team and furniture manufacturer from Michigan. In 1889, J. H. Wonderly and associates of Michigan bought up the company and it became known as the Usal Redwood Company. The Company built a wharf and a three mile railroad that later extended to six or seven miles. A large company town was also built which included a hotel, store, houses and a school.
|Print size||14 cm x 10 cm|
|Photographer||Fairbanks & De Buhr|
|Credit line||The Virginia Lycan Estate|
|Related Publications||Cook, Margarite and Diane Hawk, "A Glance Back: Northern Mendocino County History."|