|Caption||The Melville Dollar in Mendocino|
The "Melville Dollar" loading railroad ties at Mendocino.
The Melville Dollar was a steel-hull, single deck steam schooner of 1224 tons and measured 220 x 39 x 14 feet. Built in 1903 as the "John C. Howard" at St. Clair Michigan, the ship had a 1,100,000 board feet capacity. It ran on a 1,000 hp triple expansion 3 -cylinder engine.
The ship was purchased in 1907 by the M.S. Dollar Company of San Francisco and renamed the "Melville Dollar." It was sold in 1916 by the Dollar Line to Japanese owners and renamed "Jingo Maru." In 1925, the vessel was again renamed "Shin Ping" by Shanghai owners.
|Year Range from||1907|
|Year Range to||1916|
|Print size||14 cm x 9 cm|
|Credit line||Emery Escola Collection|
|Related Publications||Newell, Gordon and Joe Williamson, "Pacific Lumber Ships." p.154|