|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Caption||Anerley loading in Caspar Bay|
The British tramp steamer "Anerley" loading at Caspar.
The Anerley was built in 1910 for Una Ltd. of London. She was renamed the Southborough at some time and became an armed merchantship. The Southborough was torpedoed on July 16, 1918 by a German U-boat while in convoy. She sank almost at once killing 30 of the crew. The eight survivors were picked up by an escort vessel and landed at Middlesborough, England.
|Credit line||Emery Escola Collection|
Maxwell, Perley, 1869 - 1931