Churches & Temples
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Caption||First Church and Public School in Mendocino|
Photograph of early Mendocino showing the first Protestant Church built in the town, the first public school and the Masonic Hall before the statuary of the Father Time and the Maiden was added.
In 1858, realizing that the small congregation needed a permanent Sanctuary for worship, Jerome B. Ford and William Heeser were elected to collect subscriptions to build the first interdenominational church in Mendocino, a small building on the northeast corner of Lansing and Ukiah Streets, across from the future location of the Masonic Temple. The first public schoolhouse was built next to the church with Miss Phoebe Ames engaged to teach. School commenced in 1862 and held for 7 weeks. In 1879, the school moved over into the church when a new Presbyterian Church was completed.
|Print size||17 cm x 12 cm|
|Photographer||Martin Mason Hazeltine, 1827 - 1903|
|Credit line||Emery Escola Collection|
Hazeltine, Martin Mason, 1827 - 1903
|Related Publications||"What Became of the Little Red Schoolhouse Vol. 1 - Mendocino Area"|