|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Caption||Steamer Cleone loading up at Bear Harbor|
Steam Schooner "Cleone" loading lumber by wire chute at Bear Harbor.
In 1868, Captain John Morgan and his son, Lauriston Morgan, started a landing to ship materials. They later sold it to Abe and Nicholas Kaiser. In 1884, Dr. William McCornack of Mendocino City purchased or leased a piece of land from the Kaisers and built a wharf and chute that was operational in 1885. The wharf became a shipping center for split redwood ties, posts and tanoak bark.
|Print size||15 cm x 12 cm|
|Credit line||Emery Escola Collection|
McCornack, William A., 1849 -1918
Morgan, John Albert
Morgan, Lauriston Avery, 1846 - 1899
|Related Publications||Cook, Margarite and Diane Hawk, "A Glance Back: Northern Mendocino County History"|