|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Caption||The Eir loading at Mendocino|
The steamer Eir in Mendocino Bay.
The steamer Eir was a steel steam ship built in 1907 by J.L. Thompson & Sons at Sunderlund, England and was a sister ship to the Oswestry. Owned by Jacob R. Olsen, a Norwegian shipowner, her home port was Bergen, Norway. She measured 346 ft. in length, 49.5 ft wide and 25 ft. deep. The Eir came into Mendocino harbor from Seattle in October 1909, where she had loaded more than two million board feet of lumber and railroad ties, mostly at Puget Sound ports. She was forced to put to sea on account of a heavy storm. Her destination was Callao, Peru.
This image was taken from the T.H. Beggs City Meat Market brochure.
|Credit line||Kelley House Photographs|
|Related Publications||Mendocino Beacon - October 23, 1909|