|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Caption||The Town of Usal|
Usal wharf, houses on Michigan Avenue and other buildings.
The Usal Lumber Company was formed in 1888 by the T. Merrills, a father and son lumber team and furniture manufacturer from Michigan. In 1889, J. H. Wonderly and associates of Michigan bought up the company and it became known as the Usal Redwood Company. The Company built a wharf and a three mile railroad that later extended to six or seven miles. A large company town was also built which included a hotel, store, houses and a school.
|Photographer||Fairbanks & De Buhr|
|Credit line||The Buster Dyer Collection|
Stores & shops
|Related Publications||Cook, Margarite and Diane Hawk, "A Glance Back: Northern Mendocino County History."|